I do it, at least on resi work. Basically, anything with a wire attached to it I do, including home entertainment (I have an AA in sound engineering).

It's really pretty simple, and it makes my job eaiser not to have anybody else pulling wire/cable through my job. I have complete control over what goes where and how it gets there.

As far as pre-wire for cable/sat, if the customer can afford it, I run two co-ax to every location, color coded at the plate. This way, they can run any configuration, including the 2nd dvr line required when sat is the provider.

Also, either optic or Ethernet and a phone line to the same modular plate if desired. All runs are home runs (except the phone) and they run to an in-wall hub (usually in a large walk-in closet or the garage) where all the distribution takes place and the services come in.

Usually the client will find that it is cheaper to have me do it than hiring another company that specializes in telecom. It's more work for me, and it's kinda nice to change-up my routine with a few other specialty jobs.

Good Luck!