Reducing the 'need' for extension cord use in new construction and renovation by requiring receptacle spacing is the intent of the NEC. As are kitchen countertop and island requirements for receptacles. Remember, the NEC is not a 'design' tool.

The 'use' of extension cords, be they 2 wire 'zip' cord, or 10/3 HD, is not an NEC issue, nor is it the responsibility of the electrician, or electrical contractor. THe EC/sparky has to answer for his 'cords' only, and I have both seen and once 'owned' ratty ones.

The 'cause of fire' debate....YES, an overloaded cord can and will start a fire. A cord under a carpet can cause a fire; cord in walls, thru doorways, under doors, and a multitude of other inproper uses can and do cause fires.

A solution to the fire issue? Educate the end users? IMHO, fat chance. Mandatory fuses in cords based on the amperage of the conductor....GREAT IDEA! Cutters and tape? probably in the same aisle at the store! Power strips...a great item, as are extension cords....when used as intended and designed.

NEC issues?? Not IMHO, but a NEMA or NFPA item..

THe 'quality' of the store cords being 'crud'; I guess it depends what store. The old addage of 'ya get what ya pay for'!

We have regulations/laws for almost everything, but there is no way to instill common sense, nor make stupidity a felony.

Now I need some input as AFCI is not required here in NJ, and I have limited knowledge of it:
Going from memory, AFCI of some type are supposed to detect an arc in supply cords (lamp cord, etc) which IMHO is a prime cause of fires. The 'required' AFCI only detects arcs in the 'house' (permanent) wiring. IF this is a true fact, then why not require the 'to utilization' AFCI??

Hey Ghost....maybe YOU should persue the fuse thing...you may have a $$$$$ idea! Remember the bubble cover?

Sorry for the rant

John