All computer gear requires drivers, that is for sure.
I've installed a heap of equipment on my Windas computer here, mainly because it won't work with any other OS.
That alone is a thing that I won't go into.
Now, I had a camera that I installed recently (or at least tried to), it was sold as Plug'n'Play, yet Windows would not accept the drivers for the device, even though it was "Digitally Signed" according to the Device Manager in my laptop.
Just who is being conned here?.
I couldn't care less about Vista, but even getting something simple done in XP "Pro", is a non-event.
In any device I've ever tried to get to agree with Windas, it is frustrating, it is annoying.
Most of the "Help" stuff is written by Windas fanboys anyway, so you only get thier opinions.
Dig a bit deeper, (if you have time) and you get the feeling that once the gear is sold, they don't care.
Windas Plug'n'Play is a joke.
Anyone that has been through the Windas "New Hardware Installation Wizard" a few times would have to agree with me.
Especially after a few prompts of either "Windows cannot find the disk you inserted, please insert a disk into D:\" or more commonly "The disk you have inserted does not contain the information required, please try again"
Computers have been dumbed down too much under Microsoft.