Sparky I would NOT take it as "your trade", I as a homeowner I see way too many other homeowners who don't have a clue as to what they are doing trying to do things beyond their abilities. Just go out to Bob Vila's Bulletin Board or This Old House and read some of the Q& A's posted there.

2nd house I bought had the neatest looking side lights next to the garage door, home made units. All wood with porcelain sockets and no boxes, flying splices inside the garage to connect them to the porch light. They lasted about 1 day.

Most homeowners do electrical work just to save money and will do it as cheaply as possible, I also do it to save money, but I also work to make sure it is safe and right. I always use conduit for underground work, it is safer and if I ever have a bad wire it is a lot easer to fix.

If you want to really scare yourself just take your time getting parts at the local "Home" store some Saturday afternoon, and listen to some of the bad advice that is given out in the Electrical isle.