Bouncing this topic back to life again.

In doing so, I would like to mention that "Reno's" post makes a lot of sense + covers points which many Persons in a Management Position neglect to acknowledge (P.M.s, Superintendents and Forepersons).

On this subject, I got to experience an extremely poor display of Professionalism by the General Contractor of a Project that was just recently completed (Close-Out Package submitted, final commissioning + Punch Lists completed, C.O. issued by Building Department).

The GC is a very large firm, operating all across the Country.
The Project - while complex in its entirety, was simple in nature... only driven to difficulty by the inept Superintendents on site.

No coordination, RFI's were answered after weeks of constant reminders, "New" Plansets would arrive with no notification to the Trades' P.M.s, and at times, attempts to "sneak" revisions in by "bullying" a Journeyman into performing the revised items, by trying to use scheduling issues - attempted to bypass me entirely (I had 4 crews on the Project, so I was always bouncing around).

On the good side, 2 very talented Subordinate Forepersons and 6 inspiring Journeypersons got to learn quite a bit about the Project Management, Electrical Designing and Code Compliance sides of Commercial Electrical Construction.
They also got to learn a few basic valuable "Recognizing BS from GCs" scenarios.

I was merely the Senior Electrical Foreman on this Project, which allowed me to just keep things in check, and act as the in-between onsite between the GC and the Office.

While all this was going on, I thought about this thread and some other "Training" items I would like to contribute at ECN, for those in the Trade.

Will discuss more later.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!