I was wondering what the average overhead is for a small shop. I am owner/operator into my second business year with 3 employees. I also work in the field. I have figured it takes about a $1,000 dollars a week to run my company, this includes 2 yellow page ads, two trucks, a car(more personal than business)a lead agency, others such as gas and ect. Does this sound like too much overhead for this size of a shop.
I have recently improved my company by paying the guy's taxes and workman's comp insurance.
I am starting to come to the conclusion that running a business is not cheap, I have long realized this just more than ever now.
I have implemented flat rate pricing but still am questioning my estimating practices. Doing away with by the opening price and figuring jobs on how long will it take, material, and percentage profit desired. Also factored by schedule and location of the job. What is a good percentage to shoot for?
I am constantly trying to improve my company and would greatly appreciate any insights or advice.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3