Being that the other thread on this subject is locked, I thought I'd toss out an idea that may serve to reduce the wire thefts going on. I for one plan to push my lawmakers for something along these lines. Maybe with enough pressure it can get some attention.

First, my opinion is that because of the potential for loss of life, limb and property from removing ground wires etc., the crime needs to be classified as a public safety issue. "Reckless and Negligent Indifference" is a legal term that can be applied to manslaughter if someone gets killed, and that potential definitely exists in this situation.

But aside from increasing the classification of the crime beyond petty theft, we can also address the motivations behind the acts by eliminating the financial gain. I know that in some areas the local police are trying to crack down on scrap yards, but that isn't enough because the scrappers are not going to be police agents. Instead, we can use a voucher type of system where if anyone brings in copper for recycling, they CANNOT get cash for that metal. Instead, they get a voucher from the State stating the weight and value on the day they brought it in. The scrapyard then puts the money into an escrow-like account with the State, administered like the contractors bonds are. 4 weeks AFTER that, the money is mailed to the person who brought in the scraps. In the mean time, their names and a description of what they brought in are compared to theft reports for matches. If there is a match, the perps get a visit from the gendarmes. If there is no match, they get their money. Since I would bet that a majority of copper thieves are opportunists and/or addicts looking for a fix, having to wait for the money defeats the purpose.

Last edited by jraef; 07/11/07 03:01 AM.

JRaef