The authority having jurisdiction of enforcement of the Code shall accept listed and labeled equipment or materials where used or installed in accordance with instructions included with the listing or labeling.

Bob ("iwire"): Thanks for the input. That quote (I assume excerpted from the Massachusetts Electrical Code) is very interesting - I was not aware that any AHJ was ever mandated to accept anything. So I wonder how an AHJ in that state is expected to address an issue like this?

On one hand the AHJ must verify that the NEC's requirement for the SCCR to be posted on the equipment is satisfied, and on the other hand, he is required to accept it as-is. What if he knows that this equipment will be fed from a massive transformer sitting a few feet away, capable of feeding 50,000A to a fault within the equipment? Does he simply HOPE that the equipment is capable of withstanding a 50kA fault (but wisely put sufficient distance between it and himself before it is energized - just in case)?

In the case I originally posted, the equipment will have a UL Listing Label, however this label will not have an SCCR on it. The 2005 NEC requires that the SCCR be placed on "A visible nameplate". But note that the NEC does not even require that this equipment be Listed; thus it has been argued that it might not necessarily be the UL (or whatever NRTL) that has the responsibility to determine the SCCR and to provide it on a nameplate. But it seems that the manufacturer or supplier of the equipment certainly would have the responsibility to determine the SCCR somehow and to get it on A nameplate (not necessarily the Listing nameplate).

In other words it would follow that the NRTL would have no responsibility for what SCCR was placed on the equipment since they never involved themselves with it in the first place; which seems to me to defeat the whole point of getting an independent & qualified lab to ensure that the equipment is safe and that sufficient information will be provided (e.g., a credible SCCR on a nameplate) so that the power system designers and installers can know that they are providing a safe installation.

Fyi, I called the UL department responsible for UL 1995 ("Heating and Cooling Equipment") and the guy said that it is indeed possible that the NEC has requirements that are beyond the applicable UL standard's scope - and for this particular case, it may be something that needs to be added to UL 1995 (I then sent a formal request to them to add this requirement, to be consistent with the 2005 NEC).