I've heard that the cost of metal is associated with both an increase in mining costs, and demand associated with the industrial/building boom in Asia.

I've had $2000 worth of 2/0 SOOW feeder stolen from a building, where it was left unattended for 6 hours. Now, I always make sure it's locked up or hidden thoroughly--and don't trust custodial staff. Find your own spot.

A friend of mine works for the Bureau of Environmental Services (sewer company), and they routinely have feeder cable stolen from their backup generators at pump stations, which are fenced off with razor wire. The connections are inside locked compartments, but the thieves just cut the cable. This not only costs the department money to replace the cable, but can be a serious issue when the pumps don't run during a power failure, and you've got @#$% overflowing into the street/creek/neighbor's basement.

TBH, I don't care what your circumstance is; if you die as a result of stealing something, you're well deserving of that fate. We've got too many idiots as it is.