Hi Mike:

Like Reno said, this type of panel was fairly common construction back then. If used within its ratings and given even token attention to upkeep, it will outlast any of the junk made today. Heck, it already has come to think of it.

SEE THIS THREAD AND ITS MATES for more examples of the older style construction.

I think in part two I show the fuse holders and note how I think one would change the fuses "hot".

Many years ago, I saw a large fuse panel in a theater projection room where the entire panel front was removed due to the intense heat inside - you could literally feel the heat radiating from the panel as you passed in front of it. A middle-of-the-night electrical fire was the eventual outcome.

I've run into a few similar situations, and the main switchgear at Avalon (In a separate room downstairs, I didn't get pics) is a hodge-podge of old fuseholders and circuit breakers kludged into the framework (it was an open-switchboard design), it too let off a fair amount of heat walking near it.

One thing about your theatre panel quoted above...why did the fire happen in the middle of the night, when one would think the panel had less load on it? Do you have any more details about that incident?

Stupid should be painful.