America is a wide and far thrown country, so much so that one coast can have a problem understanding the other. I grew up around Boston MA, which has a few different accents that to one in the know could be used to identify which neighborhood someone came from. Several years ago I lost for the most part) my accent, and demeaner which sounded like James Cagney on way too much coffee. When my sister or mother come to visit I have to translate... In much the same way I did when I was in the service between other northerners, (Yankees) and people from New Orleans or other urban southern locals. (Because they sound like James Cagney drunk...)

And spent entirely too much time with a cockney girl who not only sounded like James Cagney an octave higher, but looked like him too.

And although I worked with Irish immigrant crews for several years. (And often had to translate for them too, as they sound like James Cagney with a chest cold.) I am often accussed of being Irish, due to what little is left of my Boston (Somerville/Charlestown) accent, and use of foul, yet colorful language and slang...

Now for some Irish shop talk:
"Macaroon dunta shop, anget a full rounda haufinch fittins, andanue tean thirty seconds tarp."

"Make a run to the the supply house, and get a box each of 1/2" connectors, couplings, and straps, and a new 10/32 tap."

I have also worked with a bunch of Mexican guys who don't sound like James Cagney at all...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason