I did a 100 amp. redo yesterday in a city I don't work in often. It was an older home than had been added on to a bunch of times. The panel was 30' from the service entrance so I had to run new wire and pipe through a crawlspace, add an outside disconnect, isolate grounds and neutrals downstream, etc.

Question #1: When I spoke to the inspector about how I was going to fix it he said I had to be in rigid from "weatherhead to old panel. I always thought that once I entered the structure I could jump to thinwall inside. Have done it before in basements with no problem from inspectors. Am I mistaken on this?

Question #2: I ran the neutral through the meter socket and terminated it in the disconnect. From there I ran the neutral into the inside panel. The inspector wanted the neutral ran continous from weather head to inside panel. He said "I'm not going to red tag you this time, but next time do it right!" I took the position "in a nice way" that the disconnect is now the main panel and the neutral is always cut at the main panel and then feed to the subpanels. I don't see where the fact that the main panel is now on the outside of the house would make any difference?

I'm always wanting to learn something and I havn't really done many outside disconnects, I think this was my third one in 5 or so years. I would appreciate any help offered as to the proper install given these circumstances.

electricianjeff