Originally Posted by gfretwell
<snip>
.....You folks should kick the rest of that stuff out of your bedroom. You will be happier.
Leave the palm pilot and blackberry with the keys to your truck.

I agree totally. I leave my cell phone to charge in my office. (Second bedroom) smile

I do have a 90-degree plug cord and a surge protector coming out from the recept. (Behind the bed) to my nightstand. Just a radio and lamp plugged in there. Across the room I have my LCD TV and tuner. During the summer a small window A/C (6.5 amps running draw) shares the recept.

In the other bedroom (office) it's the computer (on 500va UPS),with laser printer, fax machine and cell phone charger.

This apartment I'm in was wired in the mid 40's. All cloth romex, no grounds anywhere (except in the new circuits I added and the homerun to the old general receptacle circuit.) Both bedrooms only have two recepts, centered on opposing walls. The homerun landed in the wall common to both bedrooms (north wall master, south wall office) so I was able to readily add grounds to those two recept. The boxes are back-to back. (4 squares with single gang mudrings.)

The living room had only two recepts originally, one on the east and north walls, plus a (formerly) switched recept on the south wall. The landlord had added one more to the north wall at one time.

When I moved in ALL the recepts, including kitchen and bath, and bedrooms and living room, all on ONE 20a circuit!! The original H/R was...get this, a three wire Romex with one #12 black, 1 # 12 white neutral and a #14! red hot leg !!! (That was for the lights.) Very strange stuff. If I can ever get into the wall where it is abandoned, I'll cut a piece and post pics.

It was a bad splice in the bedroom j-box (guess which wire) that prompted me to do all the upgrades below. And not a shared branch circuit neutral in the house! smile

I now have two new circuits to the kitchen, one for the microwave and one with a two-gang Gfi'd for appliances (The garbage disposal and one recept in the dining area are still on the original run.)

The bath is next to be broken off (I have the H/R to the attic, just haven't tied it in yet).

And I have a dedicated circuit to my cinema sound rack in the living room. smile

The landlord is a good friend of many years and split the cost of the upgrades with me. smile

Stupid should be painful.