Ok, let me try to explain my question again to simplify it. By disconnecting the coil wires from the overload contacts on the starter and hooking them direct to the terminals, what effect does this have on the air compressors they operate? Remember that the pressure switches have been broken through the overload contacts. These wires have no voltage or amperage; they are just breaking the Neutral of the 110 volt circuit through them. ( This is the way one of the existing starters was wired when I got there )

Question #2 I went to the supply house and was going to get a N/C aux. contact to put on the starter. In looking at another overload relay contact on a starter that was on his shelf, I notice that the contacts are open, with no power on them. (I'm not too much on motor wiring, as you can probably tell.) Does this mean I need a N/0 contact instead of a N/C contact? What I want to accomplish is that these contacts are closed all the time. Remember, I'm just trying to
keep these compressors running like they originally was, I'm not doing the designing of these circuits. But if I need to add contacts to make it safer, I do want to let the customer know, and let him make the decision.

Question # 3. I guess my lack of knowledge on this situation is showing up, but in the way the starter is designed to do out of the box, if the overload contact trips, it is because it is sensing overheating on the phase wires going to the compressor, right? Not the wires that are going through the overload contact, which is the control circuit going to the coil? Then that means that when the overload contacts do trip, that they break the circuit ( whatever is hooked up to the overload contacts ) ???
In my case it is the pressure switch wires. So if in case of a overload, the pressure switch is disconnected, thus preventing the compressors to come on, until the overload is corrected. One more time, Am I thinking in the right channel??? Thanks again. If I am wrong, whoever wired these compressors to start with was wrong also. Thanks... Steve