Hey 66, Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like you were ripping people off. I'm sure what you pay reflects the cost of living, market conditions in your area, etc. I started out at $8 and hour too, and that was only 5 years ago.

Burr-
A few things about the IBEW program.
It's a good program from what I have heard. I applied and was accepted to it myself. However, the work situation in my area is dismal with 200+ JWs on the books and numerous apprentices laid off as well, so I walked away from it. I couldn't deal with the constant hire-and-fire cycle.

Be prepared to make a 10 year committment to the union. You do this by signing a legal document stating your apprenticeship training is considered a loan, and that you pay back your loan by working it off. (5 year apprenticeship, 5 year payback). If you decide to quit at anytime in that period, you have to pay them for your training, pro-rated. In the local here, it's $12,500 for 5 years of training.

You also sign a "non-competition" agreement, stating that if you quit the union at any time, you must not be employed by a non-union contractor for a full year after you quit.

School is 2 nights a week, 3 hours per class, and attendence is mandatory. Missing class and low grades (less than a 70 average) will get you kicked out right away.

When you show up for your interview, make sure you have a passport photo in addition to your drivers license! This is very important.

As everyone else has said, show up on time, work hard, and you'll do OK! Study hard, learn as much as you can, and stay at the top of your class.

I wish you the best of luck! [Linked Image]

Just for reference, pay in this area is:

Union: 1st year apprentice: $11.66/hr. Raise every year incrementally 40, 50, 60, 70, 80% of JW rate. JW rate:$29.50/hr. Plus benefits.

Non-union: Apprentice: $8-15/hr. JW: $20-25/hr. (approximately) Plus benefits.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 11-09-2002).]

Peter