Topic: "Questions For All, Regarding Plansets"

I would like to get input from ECN Members, regarding what YOU would like to see / not to see, in Electrical Plan Pages - whereas applied to Commercial / Industrial Projects. Residential Projects may apply in cases like Custom Houses and Multi-Family Dwellings.

This goes out to ANYONE whom deals with these Documents - which includes:
  • Journeyman Electricians,
  • Foremen Electricians,
  • Apprentice Electricians,
  • Estimators,
  • Project Mangers,
  • Plans Examiners,
  • Inspectors.

My goal is to create + Plot ("Plot" is a CAD term for "Printing") Electrical Plans, which are as efficient, understandable, detailed and usable by all People listed above.
Not going to be the easiest task, but if I am able to make things even 10% better, the effort will be totally worthwhile.

So, to begin with - what suggestions do you have?
What would make your job much easier?
What could be included in the "E Sheets" (Electrical Plan Pages), that you feel need to be - or could help dramatically?

I'll toss out several areas I think are relative:

1: Electrical Cover Page Items:

* More Detailed Scope of Work (relative to what's new and what's existing),

* "Revisions List" - list describing date, revised for (client rev., Plancheck rev., etc.), pages affected, and summary of items revised,

* Table of Contents,

* Contacts' List - includes Building Department / Utility contacts, Vendors, and related Contractors,

* Design / Build Declarations and Signatures note field - includes information + signatures for EC "President" (Owner / Licensee) and "Designer" (Me)… this is independent of signature fields in the "Note Blocks" on the Right-Side of each Plan Page,

* More details regarding "Proposed Work Locations" on a given Project,

* Include a "Site Footprint" drawing, and a Street Map image,

* Include Building classifications / types, and relevant codes.

2: Single Line Diagrams + Related Page:

* Single Line Diagrams - in both "Line" (Schematic) and "Riser" (Pictorial) forms,

* Information listed in Schedules (on same page), called-out by note numbers,

* Panelboards, and Switchgear referencable to corresponding Schedules, via "ID tags",

* Voltage Drop + Fault Levels indicated on both 1 Line Diagrams, or in separate databases on same page,

* Load calculations Databases - "Quick View Summary", separate databases showing details of each section's calculations - also on same page,

* Main Service Equipment Schedule - details of Main Service Equipment type, mounting details, OCPD information, SCA data, Circuitry data (similar to "typical" Panelboard Schedules), Service Feeders, etc.,

* Utility Transformer Details (if new Service and/or Transformer, separate plan page containing "Utility design" related information + drawings).

3: Panelboards, Transformers, Service equipment and Feeders Layout:

* Floor Plan showing locations for new, existing to remain, existing to be relocated, relocated, and existing to be removed Panelboards, Transformers, Feeders, and similar Equipment,

* Details for Panelboards + Transformers (ratings, manufacturer info., etc.),

* Referencing "Tags" which correspond to items on Single Line Diagrams, along with individual Panelboard Schedules.

4: Panelboard Schedules:

* Tons of suggestions, but rather like to know - in your words - what would / should be included.

5: Details and Notes:

* Along with "Notes relevant to the Project", would Device specifications + colors be helpful?

* Would "Code Compliant" and "Field-Related" notes and detail drawings be helpful? (referring to items such as Mounting Heights, Box fill Calcs, "Simple" Volt Loss Calcs, Ampacity tables with Derating information, suspended ceiling / light fixture securing details, and other such information),

* Lighting Control details and schematics (per CEC compliance),

* Transformer Termination details + drawings,

* Mounting of Disconnect Switches for roof mounted equipment (Unistrut stands details, etc.),

* Any "Special" or Specific Equipment / Outlets / etc, details and drawings,

* Emergency Lighting details,

* Exterior Lighting + Circuitry details (Pole Bases, Poles, Conduit, Fixtures, etc. - related to the Project),

* Detailed Fixture Schedule - includes all relevant fixture data, location(s) used, total number on plans, etc.

6: Electrical Power Plans:

* Many suggestions (separate pages for HVAC / Specific Equipment, Comm/Data, and such), but would like your input to what would be most helpful,

7: Electrical Lighting Plans:

* Many suggestions here also, but would like your input first!

I will check back periodically for replies, and then add more comments as things progress.
I really appreciate everyone's input and assistance.

As I mentioned before, the overall goal for me is to make my Plansets more effective / efficient, for anyone who will read or use them:

* Easier for Plancheckers to read through, and find the pertinent data required - and hopefully through more precisely compiled / easier to follow Plans, any non-compliant items which made it past my final checkplots reviews, would be caught prior to the set going to the field
(I am creating automated routines, which not only reduce the amount of work required for Planset designs, but dramatically reduce total time and minimize errors during the CAD Drafting part of Planset Creations),

* Easier for the Field Personnel to use and follow the complete Planset - with minimal verification phone calls needed, along with enough relevant + easily understandable details and information, to assist in the overall installations,

* Easier for Estimation (Take-Offs) and Project Management.

Please excuse the lengthy preliminary post, just trying to include enough details possible.
Looking forward to any and all replies.

BTW, if you prefer discussing this topic "Off-Line", or in "real time", let me know.

For "Off-Line" discussions, send me an E-mail.
E-mail = seteng0307 at pacbell dot net
(remove the spaces, and change "at" to the at symbol, and change "dot" to a dot!).

For "Real-Time" discussions, arrange to discuss in the ECN Chatrooms

TIA!!!

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!