Around here: I size the pipe how I see fit = or > 1 1/4" depending on the service, pull and land my own conductors at the meter, and for existing services - set the old meter and heat it back up with insulation piercing lugs. (by the PG&E green book not hip but otherwise the customer waits for 2 weeks ~ 20 years... not kidding, and they don't like so much that it's common practice and has been since long before I was here.) Green tag from the city, and eventually PG&E makes it back out to tag and install perminant taps. The pricy lugs get tossed - but part of the job. But I have seen non-PG&E split bolts from antiquity - but still reffered to as "temporary splices"

UG - pipe and size however I see fit depending on the service to the closest point I can get to the street, and put in a termination can for PG&E to pull to, then its by thier regs max 2 90's 2' and 3' sweeps of 2 1/2" or > depending on the service back to thier christy box. And if theres a usable existing conduit, I pull the conductors all the way to thier christy for them to terminate.

It's been this way for as long as I remember, but if you had to do it the POCO's way and wait for them too - nothing would ever get done. The POCO, and the inspectors know that pretty well. Did one (OH) across the street for a neighbor, and it took two months for the rep to show, and two more for the two man crew to tag the meter. Took a dozen phone calls and an office visit to expedite it.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason