Joe,

I can't completely agree with your statements. Some of what you describe regarding code rules and installation questions is something that is common practice and perfectly justified when it's between those in the trade or others with serious interest in the trade. Without these we'd have nothing to talk about.

I think that the distinction has to be made on what questions are appropriate here depending on who is asking and the the way the question is asked. We can't always tell who we are talking to or their level of competance, but at some point if we determine that someone does not posess the skills or knowledge to perform a job safely we should advise them to seek training, hire a pro, etc.

It's a fine point and difficult to describe, but I think that we've all made decisions like this before and should have some idea where I'm coming from. There is a difference between someone asking how to rewire a 3 phase motor for higher voltage and someone asking "where do I put the black and white wire" And we don't want to exclude the student from some basic questions either.

So, clear as mud, right?
any other thoughts?

Bill

Bill