I used to be like Briselec until I forced myself to get more serious and set up a daily logbook using the daytimer log book you can get from any stationary supplier. I prefer the one that is compact in size but has two pages for every day of the year. At the time my key in my van is turned off, or I start the vehicle, I am recording my current mileage, destination, arrival time, duration of job time, and what was done at the job. Bear in mind, I am the only person who sees this info, because I am a one man operation. It has been invaluable in not forgetting about extra work performed in the course of daily wiring of projects, and helps in the change order process. There have also been times when the log helps me to correct mistatements made by owner's or contractors about who and what has held up projects, or about how many return trips I have had to make to a project to perform small sections of work just to keep the g.c. going. I bill, and I like getting paid for all those unnessesary trips to the jobs. It pays for the time I spend writing the log in the first place.