What would happen if the HO didn't care about the final Inspection?

What could the township do legally to them?

Good question.

I honestly don't know, but...

I had a situation involving a real estate purchase where the seller did not live up to their obligations for obtaining a Continued Certificate of Occupancy (CCO) on one of the units (it was a multi-family dwelling).
The seller had represented that they had the CCO but did not have the permits issued to do the work.
Ultimately, I had the CCO revoked by the city and forced the sellers to put money into escrow for these repairs they claimed were done but weren't actually done at all.

Obviously, this is quite different than a construction contract...but, if the work that was done has anything to do with a CCO or even a TCO (Temporary CO), the city could revoke that CO rendering the property uninhabitable.
Which brings to:
Lets say it was a kitchen remodel,not a use and occupancy issue...

For that, you might consider pulling your permit for the job. When the property gets sold, that *might* come up through the buyer's own due diligence or it *might* come up through the disclosure laws - like anybody really admits they finished their basement without an inspection!

Like I said, I don't know what the city could do...maybe fine the HO for having the work done w/o permits?

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...