Here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex, even tho we have a state license now, you have to pay a fee for each city to license and register your business. You may only have one job in that city for that year but the combined cost can be about $200. If you do not renew at the end of your year (some are calender years, in which case you may have to pay this fee to be allowed to work in that jurisdiction for a week or two) and you do not have another job in that jurisdiction for more than a year...you are charged a late fee (Dallas it is $60). To try and keep up your license in all the cities in the metroplex would total thousands of dollars a year and you might only work in a couple of them during the year. I build my fees into the bid, unless it is a small job. On the small jobs I add a percentage to help cover my costs. I wouldn't mind paying for my license and registration and not charging the customer (cost of doing business)if I only worked in one city...but here every city wants their money. Is it the same for any of the rest of you?