This is a very long post so please bear with me for I feel it to be of importance to all contractors.I was recently reading a post from july concerning liability and insurance. https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000231.html
Luckyshadow mentioned a $400 policy. To summarize LK's response a $400 policy probably wasnt enough insurance for a contractor.
This got me wondering about my own policy because I am only paying $700 per year.
I decided to open a can of worms by sending an email to my insurance company outlinig what I do. I figured it would cause me trouble and it did, but I wanted to make sure I was covered for the work I do.
Now I am looking for a new policy because they said when my existing policy runs out they cannot renew. They offered no detail
but I am trying to find out more.I know other contractors who use these same policies.I understand that some of the things that I listed are extreme cases but from what I can gather something as simple as digging a trench is not covered. My written policy is very vague on detail and so is the person who sold me the policy.
Here is the letter That I submitted.
Dear Sir or Madam:
This is a reasonable general breakdown of my job duties as an electrical contractor In Florida.
Included is a list of the types of locations and facilities that I may be called to work at, types of equipment required to complete my job assignments, expected working heights, types of voltage that I will be exposed to and types of equipment that I may be required to work on and around.
I would like to know which of these activities outlined below are covered by my existing policy and which are not.
I would also like to know when coverage begins and when it ends
on work performed by me. Is my policy concurrent?
I do not want to engage in any activities for which I am not covered and will gladly discontinue any practice which is questionable or that may not be covered by my policy.
In general, all the electrical contractors I know and including myself must perform electrical maintenance and construction both inside and outside of buildings.
To complete a project I am sometimes required to dig holes and or trenches usually not exceeding three feet deep, by hand using shovels, picks and other manual digging devices or with machinery such as a ditchwitch (trencher) or backhoe. This digging is required to access existing electrical systems for maintenance, repair and or alteration as well as to facilitate the installation of new electrical systems and or components.
To prevent damage to previously buried equipment, I consult local authority, site supervisor, owner etc. for information/permission before digging as well as calling 1-800-NOCUT as required.
I sometimes must work above the ground on walkways, platforms, ladders or mechanized equipment approved for lifting personal.
Working height does not exceed 24 feet as outlined in my existing policy and I will be using approved fall protection.
I will need to perform construction, maintenance, service and or repair of electrical equipment inside and outside of a facility including electrical service equipment ending at the point where the power company connects to serve the facility.
Alternating and direct current voltages that I may encounter will range from less than one volt up to and including 2300 volts.
The types of facilities and equipment I will be working on may include but are not limited to the following examples.
Residential, single and multi family dwellings.
Wiring of new homes as well as maintenance and or repair of existing electrical equipment and systems.
Commercial, hotels, motels, restaurants, gas stations, manufacturing facilities, marina’s ect.
Electrical distribution, lighting, cooking, material handling, and associated equipment.

Industrial, Papermills, sawmills, rock quarries ect.
Electrical distribution, lighting, material handling, and associated equipment.