I need some advice and assistance from you guys. I am wanting to start a business in Harford, Maryland. The business would specialize in the installation of a specific brand of Home Automation devices. These include Light Switches, Outlets, Thermostats, and Data Networks.

I contacted the harford county reps for licensing and they told me that in order for me to do any work on anyones electrical system that I need a master electricians license.

Problem is that I already have a good job with the Department of Defence as an Electronic Engineering Technician and I am not able to go work directly with a master electrician full time for 7 years in order to get my license.

So the above brings me to the topic of subcontracting. Is it a normal practice for me to do work under the supervision of another Master Electrician who is not directly related to my company?

Do states or local authorities ever grant waivers for specific types of work. I have about a total of 9 year experience working with electricity. 4 years working with a master electrician in Technical High School. 2 years of College education in electronics, computers, and telecomunications, and 3 years experience working for the DoD(Army) as an Electronic Technician contractor.

The bottom line is that I have all the skills I need to do that work that I want to do and I want to do it legally but I am bound by the license issues.

Who should I be talking to in order to overcome this obsticle?

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 07-18-2005).]