I talked to the Board about this.
They sent me a notice that my license number had to be on all correspondence and advertising as per Mass Gen Law.
I fixed this by making sure that my license number is on all invoices, proposals and correspondence. I ran my checks through the printer to add the license number.

Anyway…I asked about lettering of the van and about putting the license number on the side. I had always heard that you have to have your license number on the side no mater what.
What they told me is, that if you put your company name on any vehicle, it is advertising and your license number is required. It is not needed if you don’t letter the vehicle and lettering is not required.

Also the company name on the vehicle has to match the name on the business’s license.
If you were a journeyman in business you could only have “Joe Blow Electrician” as your company name.

Personally I don’t advertise either. I think that advertising on a truck attracts mostly residential customers. If you do only commercial and industrial work, then advertising on the trucks has less of an effect.
Commercial and industrial accounts and GC’s usually ask for an insurance certificate anyways.

[This message has been edited by tkb (edited 05-23-2005).]