Let me be the first to tell you that starting your own business has its trying moments. Here is my story... I put my business together in February of this year. I made a list of everything I needed for truck stock, tools, etc... I took out ads in local papers, yellow book ad. I quit my full time job with benefits when I was hired as a subcontractor to remodel apartment buildings through a General Contractor. He "misrepresented" the amount of work he had and it only lasted two weeks. I then landed some work with family friends and neighboors and worked my ass off to build up a customer base, I even gave them lowered rates to help spread the word. Well, since all that took place from Feb to March, During the month of April until now, I have only had one lousy phone call from my Yellow Book ad, and one lousy phone call from my newspaper ad. I have an anxious wife who is dropping hints of finding a full-time job, alot of stress in the house as you can imagine, sex isn't what it should be, as you can imagine... since April I have returned thousands of dollars worth of stock to Home Depot and Lowe's, some large tools I haven't even used, just to get them off my credit card. Money wasn't a problem getting this business going, just when the phone doesn't ring, even after I sent out targeted post cards to specific potential customers, I am scratching my head. Now I have my mother-in-law dropping hints to my wife about "who might be hiring". Ok, so today, I invited myself into the business of an established local electrician and introduced myself cold turkey, faxed my resume over first and he has that. He has a large shop with alot of parts. He gave me a tour of his place and showed me a bucket truck, and going to get another one, etc... I guess he was interested in me. He doesn't do old work that much and does alot of Sunoco gas stations. We discussed working me either as a subcontractor and he would pay me more for using my vehicle or hiring me full-time where I would be covered workmans comp, etc... I think I might do full-time but willing to take any advice from you guys on here? Any advice? So anyway, I don't know why the phone hasn't rung. I have a professional image, clean truck, late model and I keep it washed. I have t-shirts with my logo. I'm not a dirtbag, I speak intelligently, have all my teeth, I once dated Miss Louisiana 1985,(I met her on match.com) so I know its not me that I am not getting calls. I know and realize that starting a business can take several years but when I am not even getting Joe Blow Ragman jobs offered to me I have to wonder.

Maybe I jumped into this too fast? Perhaps I should have found my "niche" and stuck with that? Most of my experience is with machine electrical and mechanical. So I am applying for full-time work all around the midwest hoping to land a good job where I can do field service work again, the wife says she will relocate with me no problem. (plus we get away from the mother-in-law) hehehe

I hope I have said something to help you and not bore you stiff...