I am new to the forum and would like some advice from you seasoned contractors out there. A little background first. I am an EC, however since I started a few years ago I have really been "self-employed." I work by myself doing small commercial jobs like HVAC hookups, service calls, and for the first three years was lucky enough to get in with a general on a bunch of Domino Pizza remodels in Dallas. Well I finished them and am having trouble finding new work, perhaps I am not agressive enough. I have been thinking about getting into residential to do the electrical and/or structured wiring. I was told that the going rate in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex was about $20 to $25 per drop? After reading some of the posts here, I almost fell over backwards by what some of you are getting. One post said $165 for a 15A duplex within 25' of the panel! Really? I also have read some of the posts about flat rate pricing for residential. Since I don't have the money for those programs, is there anyone who could send me a copy of what they use so I can build one for here in the DFW area? I know the pricing would be different but I don't want to price too low either. Also if you are pricing by the drop, how do you handle 220 outlets, HVAC, services, lights (FBO I assume) and ceiling fans, etc. I know I will have to closely monitor my jobs so I can determine an accurate overhead over time. Is 10% a resonable profit figure?
Also what is the best way to approach the builders since I would assume most already have electricians they have been using. How do you "break-in" especially without a track record of other home builders to use as a reference?
I like doing commercial work, but am hesitant to bid jobs that I can't do by myself because I don't think it is right to hire some help for one job without having some other jobs lined up. If I have to be on the job with the new employees to ensure it is done right (until I can evaluate their work) I don't see how I can look for other work. I know a couple of guys that are excellent journeymen and could run the jobs easily, but they have families and need the steady work. I like to be fair to them and I have always treated the people that work for me(at other companies) like I would want to be treated. Anyway this limits the jobs I try bidding on in the commercial world. Most of my leads are for schools or government projects which are out of my range on bonding, insurance, etc. So I thought I should give residential a go.
This is getting pretty long so if there is any advice you can give or comments you would like to make, please feel free. I will say thankyou in advance for all your inputs.

Whiterook