Hi All:
Great Forum!! I would like your advice as my peers. I am just starting out on my own. I have been in the business for over 20 years. I would like to know how do you handle an agreement between you and your customer regarding hourly cost for small jobs?

Now I am talking about the small work that you do which take a day or two to finish. I usually let the customer know how much its going to cost verbally. When I send the bill I get call backs saying I charged too much etc... I just received one of those calls tonight and I am fuming!! I need your help in how to handel this situation.

Do you have your customer sign a contract for anything small you do, even if its a ceiling fan? I always get signed contracts with larger jobs due to the complexity of them in general but for the smaller ones, I haven't.

If you would also be so kind as to refer me to what type of forms you use for T&M jobs as well as Estimated Jobs.

I know my questions sound very basic but I never really had anyone take me through the business side of a this trade when it came to money issues with customers. I would always handle everything from inception to completion then hand it over to the boss.

I apreciate your time and please excuse the spelling. Kids want to play Blue's Clues!!

Sincerely

Joe Bartolucci