Les, Doug and Members,
I'd like to put a foreign point of view across, it may sound like a bit of a whinge, but I'd like to relate this to you guys.
First of all, I'd like to say that I don't in general have a problem with customers providing Light-Fittings, Receptacles or anything else for that matter for a job, provided that the fittings are approved for use and Comply with our Regulations.
That said, I have on occassion done re-wires of houses and got to the fitting-off stage and said that I'm going to get the switches and so forth, when I'm told by the H/Owner that they are providing them, only to be greeted by a large box of old junk that the guy has saved up over the last 20 years.
I mean things like 5 Ampere switches and old Socket-Outlets that don't have switches and the pin contacts are spread.
Sure, it's OK for the Homeowner, he doesn't have to sign a legal document to say the work is safe and I'd also like to be able to sleep at night too!.
This was one of the main reasons why I'm a Faultsman now, I don't have to deal with the arguments with skin-flint Home-owners and my former Boss asking why an argument started.
Another thing, I once installed a new switch-board in a house and the land-lord (who was told by me before-hand, that it needed upgrading, because it was a Fire hazard) hit the roof when I didn't use the box of old Porcelain fuse bases he gave me.
I made a phone call and handed the phone to him, he changed his tune after one of the PoCo Electrical Inspectors asked him what planet he came from. [Linked Image]
Self-certification is enough of a nightmare here without cheap-skates trying to get you to cut corners.
After all, they won't be losing thier registration.
But hey, don't get me wrong, the good jobs far out-wiegh the bad and to see a nice fancy Chandelier(sp?) fitting that the customer has bought, actually light up at the end of a job and the look on thier face seeing it working, well, what more need be said, eh?. [Linked Image]