Nick,
When I first started reading your post, I could have sworn that you were talking about Intercontential in Houston. Believe me, I know about the 10PM to 5AM window that everything has to be done.
A couple of weeks ago, we had to extend a branch circuit for a vent motor. This vent motor was mounted inside of a 36" concrete reinforced pipe. The shaft had to be extended across a street. So, the GC dug up half the street at a time. At about 3:15AM we were half done. Things started "hopping" around there because the vent was for an underground tunnel that had to be turned back on before the "big morning rush". To make a long story short, they were 10 minutes late getting the road opened for traffic. The problem was, they (the GC) didn't remove the hardware for the vent motor housing. I hooked up the disconnect for the motor, and was about to throw the switch when I noticed the vent fan housing was hanging from from the existing seal tite. If I would have turned on that motor, it would have probably shaved the wires, and dropped to the bottom of the shaft, approximately 8 feet. After some quick thinking, we worked it out, and had the motor on by 8AM.

So much for deadlines,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX