More of a Question directed to the Inspectors here, but anyone else may feel free to comment.

Scenario:
  • Lighted Exit Signs - with intregal Battery Back-up,
  • New Offices built to an existing Concrete Tilt-Up Warehouse (235,000 sq. ft. warehouse, 6,200 sq. ft new Offices),
  • Two (2) Story Office addition,
  • Occupancy class "B",
  • No Back-Up Genny required or requested,
  • Egress / "Night Lights" and Exit Signs have battery backups, and are connected unswitched (except for branch circuit breaker) to the General Lighting Circuits for this Office area,
  • Plancheck correction.

I designed the Lighting System, on one current Design/Build project, with the Exits and Night Lights connected to nearest General Lighting Circuit - only one input circuit (as the most commonly used exits for these types of projects are single circuit with Ni Cd backup cells (battery backup).

Submitted my "E" Sheets to City for Plancheck.
Planchecking firm (City's DBS contracts planchecking to outside firm) found only a few items for revision, one of them being I forgot to include the expiration date of the C-10 Elect. Contractor's License; but the most shocking correction was to provide two power sources for exit signs.

I do not remember this to be required on a Commercial 2 floor Occupancy B structure, only on structures like high rises and where emergency gennys were needed.

Quoted article is: UBC 1003.2.8.4

The version of the UBC I have on hand is the 1985 version, which does not have anything related to exit signs power sources in article 1003; but that's another story [Linked Image]

Before calling the Planchecking firm to discuss this issue, I wanted to get an idea of what the article 1003.2.8.4 says.

Anyone have suggestions or comments?

TIA!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!