Guys,
Even though you fellas come from the other side of the world, could I please pick your brains, if I may?.
There is a bit of a stink brewing over here regarding the use of generators to power E/Lighting, that is used for evacuation purposes.
In the US (and other places for that matter),is it allowed that this be done?.
The problem that a lot of people that are opposed to the change in Regulations, can see, (me included) is the delay in starting of the generator, if it starts at all.
To my way of thinking, if you are in a large building (say a mall, etc) and all the lights go out, you wouldn't be waiting a minute or so, before you panic to get out!.
Another "bone of contention", is the disagreement on a Minimum Lux level for escape lighting, what level do you guys use?.
E/Lighting isn't really something that I've had a lot to do with as an Electrician, but I have as a Fire Officer and it usually involves helping people out of buildings after the E/Lighting system failed to do what it was supposed to.
One thing that the New Zealand Fire Service is going to start doing in the next few weeks is check all these E/Lighting systems and putting some real pressure on the owners of this defective gear, because at the end of the day, it's the Building owner that gives the go-ahead to fit new batteries, etc.
Any other thoughts on this subject you may have, please, by all means, jump in!. [Linked Image]