First there is no NEC standard for color coding phase A may be Red in one building and blue in another.

For that matter phase A will likely be Brown and Black in the buildings I work in.

Brown for 480 volt systems and Black for 208 systems, again those colors are not standard they are more of a habit in this area.

The NEC requires this.

408.3(E) Phase Arrangement. The phase arrangement on 3-phase buses shall be A, B, C from front to back, top to bottom, or left to right, as viewed from the front of the switchboard or panelboard. The B phase shall be that phase having the higher voltage to ground on 3-phase, 4-wire, delta-connected systems. Other busbar arrangements shall be permitted for additions to existing installations and shall be marked.

But, when I connect to the power company (or they connect to me) I do not know which conductor is truly A.

Some have said any connection that results in clockwise rotation is correct and that may be so but I have never seen that written in a code or standard.

So once we land the conductors at the service disconnect we do not change from that point on except as needed at motor terminals.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts