I really hate the condescending approach so many "safety" materials take. Their starting premise seems to be that everyone (except them,of course) has less sense than your average cartoon character. This is then followed by over-simplification, onver-generalisation, and technical errors.

Probably the most dangerous element of this stuff is the "here is the rule, that must be always followed, or you're an idiot, and we'll send you to the gulag" conclusion.

Why do I say "dangerous?" Because it is simply wrong. I say this using the example of wearing gloves. I've been in two related businesses, doing related tasks; one banned wearing gloves for protection, while the other required their wear for the entire shift. They can't both be right!

This approach is also dangerous for a less obvious reason. By focusing on "rules and procedures," and stifiling any intellegent discussion......they are effectively turning the clock back to 1930, and the higher accident rates of that time.

We have since learned that rules, procedures, and equipment are but a starting point. The greatest improvement in safety came about when it was recognised that such "intangibles" as an awake, aware mind and "corporate culture" had an enormous impact on safety.

I once saw a co-worker lose a thumb because of unfounded malicious gossip. The guy was confronted by this nonsense as he started his shift, was distracted, and promptly got hurt. What matters he is that the company in question was absolutely unwilling to consider the role in the accident played by the "game-player." Management instead preferred to keep a "divide and rule" atmosphere in place.