Interesting day at the FD...

Was assisting another FF in pressurizing a foam / water extinguisher - it was down to 100 Psi.

Since our station compressor only goes to 100 Psi, we had to use the "portable tank" - a "M" cylinder in a hand truck with a regulator and hose attached. It's been beat (and dropped) a great deal, and is missing the adjusting handle from the stem.

After having some problems with the foam backing up into the fill line, I looked at the regulator, and discovered that the regulated gauge was indicating about 80 Psi -
so I broke out the "vise grips" to adjust the pressure up 30 pounds.

As I'm adjusting the Psi, I'm watching the gauge out of the corner of my eye (Dad taught me to never look directly at an energized workpiece), slowly rising.... 90..... 95... and BAM!!!!!!!!!!

Now my ears are ringing, there are pieces of plasitc everywhere, and a rushing noise. I thought the frangible (burst / overpressure) disc had blwon on the tank... then I realized that the self-coiling nylon hose had blown up.

I shut off the tank, and told my coworkers I was OK.

Turns out that the regulator was supplying the 200 Psi (max) hose at over 950 Psi when it failed. The gauge had actually gone past the "stop" pin to read as high as it did.

Glad it's just my ears ringing!

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 03-04-2005).]