It is extremly hard to design a harness for both fall arrest, and work placement. Doing some work for a Rock Climbing gym, (not electrical), I spend a LOT of time in a harness. I use a climbing harness, as it is ok with WCB for what i'm doing.

A challange for the people here would be to come up with a harness that does not restrict blood flow.

Now, for the ladder, one thing you could do is use a lanyard that is no longer than your arms, so that you can reach to pull yourself back up, but that restricts your working space.

For work positioning, while still using a WCB (OSHA for you guys?) harness, perhaps a bausins (spelling?) seat would work. Basically just a simple seat, kinda like a swing, that has a rope clamp on it, can go on your main line. I spent about $150 US on a harness that is padded and comfortable enough that I can hang in for an hour or more at a time, but it won't work with WCB for an exectrician.

Now, I don't know what design of harness you are using, perhaps you could post a link or photo of it? But, if you are stuck hanging in it, stay calm, and stay moving. You can also take some pressure of your legs occasionally by moving around, almost going into an upside down position so that your sholder straps are taking alot of the force.

If you are low enough and have a safe landing, it is even an option to cut your lifeline if nothing else will work for you. (You look better if you don't tell anyone what you had to do. [Linked Image] ).

Just some thoughts...

Proud Inventor of the Three Phase Light Bulb!