Rick,
With regard to testing your GFCI tester, use a known working GFCI or test at the supplying Panel.
Is there no legislation pertaining to the testing of GFCI's in a Medical installation in the US?, Surely this should be laid down in law?.
As a rule Rick, I've never read the Manufacturers Instructions, as they pertain to the RCD's we use over here, they just cause confusion.
I prefer to use my dedicated RCD tester that hasn't failed yet.
Big Jim,
Most gear that I have used is self-calibrating, provided that the meter is taken care of and the meter is re-calibrated by a recognised Calibrating Authority every 6-12 months.
Jim A,
It's good to see that you have records of tests done in the past.
Just as a word of advice, take in all that you can from the Ideal Rep, mate, these people are paid to train guys just like yourself, fella's at the coal-face.
It also sounds to me like your Safety guy is in the wrong occupation, because, any Safety-Orientated person would greet a Rep like this coming in with open arms, not with the attitude of it costing the company money.
It also sounds like your Safety Guy needs the advice of Scotts (cue: Scotts), as this guy hasn't got a clue about Workplace Safety.