I bet most people here think the disposable lighter child-proof requirements are absurd. And I bet a lot of you have wanted to post in the past to say so but were afraid to encounter the wrath of the ever-lurking P.C., do it for the children, thought police, eh?

I think they're stupid laws too. IMO the laws conflict with the spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act too. I guarantee my 11 year old son could figure out and operate every one of these safety mechanism lighters, probably easier than his grandparents or greatgrandparents (I wondered how they managed to live so long). And what about gas and electric stoves, one of each is pretty much in every home in the world? They have next to no safety mechanisms - unless you count pushing in the knob, which is a joke. Anyone ever notice that dangerous spinning brush on the bottom of the vacuum cleaner? Better legislate that hazard away as well - and make us all pay for it since its for the children. Don't even talk about guns - they don't even require ANY safety mechanism (they're next on the wellwishers list though).

Nanny-state supporters, let er rip! I'm sure I'm a horrible monster for wanting "the children" to get hurt. Please send links to the horrors I support!