CPSC Warns Consumers to Replace Star ME-1 Dry Fire Sprinklers Made by Sprinkler Corporation of Milwaukee
-- Administrative Lawsuit Settled, Firm Financially Unable to Conduct Recall --

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) today is warning consumers regarding approximately 400,000 Star ME-1 dry fire sprinklers manufactured from 1983 through 1995 by Sprinkler Corporation of Milwaukee, Inc. (SCM), formerly known as Star Sprinkler Corporation. CPSC warns that these sprinklers present a safety risk and should immediately be replaced. This warning follows the resolution of an administrative proceeding filed by CPSC on October 9, 2001, in which CPSC alleged these sprinklers are defective and are likely to fail to operate in a fire, thereby exposing consumers to the risk of death or serious injury. CPSC reports that samples of Star ME-1 dry sprinklers removed from several locations and tested by independent testing laboratories did not operate as intended. CPSC has received reports of two failures involving Star ME-1 dry sprinklers. One report involved a 1976 sprinkler, and the other, sprinklers installed in 1990.

Because SCM is no longer in operation and has no assets, it is unable to conduct a recall, so no free replacement or refund is available for its sprinklers. Nevertheless, SCM urges building owners to follow CPSC guidance by inspecting the sprinkler systems in their buildings and replacing any Star ME-1 fire sprinklers manufactured from 1983 through 1995.
Click >> more info