kiwi,
As far as I know, our government does not give pensioners any form of discount or tax relief on power charges. I even asked my folks.

Is this correct?.
The simple answer is NO.
However, there is a scheme in some areas, where if you use less than a given amount (the threshold of which, actually escapes me at the moment) you pay a reduced line charge.
I'll see if I can dig some details out in the next couple of days.
But I have to agree Kiwi, the people that paid for the Network here seem to get hit hardest.
Pensioners don't use a lot of power, usually because, they were bought up with the idea of turning the switch off after you have finished with the lighting and heating.
But as the way is these days with our "improved" electricity sector, they aren't in business to make friends, they don't care who you are, they just want your money. [Linked Image]

Oh and one other thing,I noticed on my last electricity account, that I have a week less to pay it than previously, before I lose my "Valued Customer" discount of 15%.
It's down to a week after the account was sent, which is just great for people like me that get paid fort-nightly. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to add last bit}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-06-2006).]