Well,
At the same time kiwi, them lines have been there since the 1950's, if not longer, it's not as though the nasty Transpower put them there in the night-time so that no-one would notice.
People chose to live next to the lines, why should they be now given money (from the tax-payer no doubt)because of their poor judgement?.
I smell a racket here and the fact that lawyers are involved now only amplifies that thought.
The lawyers will want their pound of flesh.
Meanwhile, the NZ Electricity system suffers, just wait until we get to next winter and we have a really big outage, everyone will blame the Government again and Transpower, but these idiots that say "I'm going to block any progress on the upgrades because it "might" cause me and my family cancer" need to stand up and show us some real evidence, not BS from so-called scientists.
Tell me, where is the evidence that HV lines cause cancer in New Zealand??.
All of the arguments offered here use "scientists" and references from either Canada, the US or the UK.
All of which have a LOT more people than New Zealand, so statistics based on population, don't really sort of fit here.
{Like I said some time back, David Bellamy might be a scientist, but he has no place in an argument about physics, he is a botanist!.}
The day they invent an electric tree, he should be bought into the argument.
Our transmission voltages are different, as is our terrain and pylon hieghts.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-13-2006).]