Many years ago (in December 2002 to be precise) Hutch motivated for a new international plug based upon an ANZAC standard but this time the right way up [Linked Image] .

I am glad to see that government agencies are taking note of the content of ECN when implementing their new standards. Bill please note. Students of electrical history may wish to review the first developments of this international protocol here .

Mongolia , long time satellite state of the Soviet Union and rejoicing in its new found identity is slowly shaking off the trappings of Mother Russia . The alphabet is still Cyrillic but English is creeping in and they have adopted the ECN#1 Standard socket protocol. On a recent visit – during which I comprehensively tested these new standards – by plugging and unplugging some of their equipment [Linked Image] – I obtained the following pictures exclusive to ECN – remember you saw it first here folks!

Country No.1 of ECN#1:-
[Linked Image]

Larger image is available here

Unfortunately, pressure from the Chinese has allowed their ungrounded NEMA 1-15 plugged appliances to receive the full 230V. ECN Standards officers have noted the derogation of ECN#1.

For the record the original is illustrated below:-

[Linked Image]

Whilst lacking the sleeved phase pins of the full ECN#1 Standard their plugs are nonetheless of a sensible proportion. Please note the 90º exit angle of the cable in accordance with ECN#1.

[Linked Image]
Larger image is available here .

{ All images now moved to ECN server }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-24-2006).]