Well not in the UK, but I've made a start with 120W worth of solar panels and a 180Ah battery bank. I have another 120W of panels and a 400W wind generator (Air X Marine)yet to install.
The system was operational at the start of last summer and worked very well. Now that we're coming into winter there has been a huge drop off in performance (motivation to get the other panels and wind generator up). In the peak of summer I was able to leave lights on all the time and other appliances throughout the day. The battery bank would be charged by about 11am the next day. I use a home made charge regulator of my own design. With the shorter days now, and with the angle of the sun lower, I have had to resort to mains charging of the batteries a few times. Also, the batteries I've been using are failing (they were 2nd hand freebies I got years ago), and I'm now down to one half of the bank at 90Ah which itself is slowly dying.
I wired the house in ring main configuration with 16mm wire...this effectively halves the resistance depinding on where power is drawn.
There's separate light and power circuits, protected with 16A MCB's. Power outlets are Clipsal 402/32 sockets which are the Australian standard for Extra Low Voltage (ie. 32V and less). Typically, with an 8A draw on the furthest socket the voltage falls to about 11.7V which considering the batteries are 15m away is pretty good.
The light circuit uses a 16mm feed but with 4mm branches supplying the light sockets, again using ring main configuration where possible. These are mostly E26 porcelain pull chain switch sockets fitted with 12V 50W bulbs which I imported from the US, or locally made B22 sockets and 12V B22 base bulbs of 25W,40W or 60W.