The NZ traffic lights are sequenced to go straight from Red to Green.

I've never really seen the point of the red-&-amber phase here. All it seems to do is encourage certain drivers to start off before green. It's also interesting to note that where we have a separate green "filter" arrow for turns, that can just come on with the red without any amber first.

Our neighbors across the water in Ireland have lights which just go straight from red to green, as do those in the Channel Islands.

By the way, we do not have any amber or red arrows, and for North American readers, neither do we have turns on red (except where there's the aforementioned green arrow illuminated simultaneously).

However, I do notice of late where there's traffic lights for the sole purpose of a pedestrian crossing (ie. not at an intersection) the orange light flashes a few times before you get the green light.

As Hutch said, that's standard for our pedestrian crossing lights. It's not used where there are also pedestrian lights at an intersection with regular lights. It's only on the lights which are normally located in the middle of the block with the sole purpose of stopping traffic for pedestrians to cross.

Whereas American lights flash the "Don't walk" or "red hand" immediately before going back to the solid "Don't walk" indication, ours flash the "green man" (walk) signal, and the amber for cars flashes at the same time.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/signs01.htm

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/18.htm#172

They've started introducing different types of pedestrian crossing lights recently though, some of which now use the regular red/amber before green. Why we need a half dozen different types with varying light placement and different sequences, I have no idea. [Linked Image]

Red = Stop [optional].
Amber = Stop [optional]

[Linked Image]

One thing I have noticed about some French lights is that there's actually very little difference between the colors. In the U.K., the U.S., etc. red and amber are clearly and distinctly red and amber.

Some of the lights in France seem to use a reddish-orange for one and a not-so-reddish-orange for the other, and at first glance you can't actually tell which is which (without looking at the position on the signal head).

BTW when visiting Oz a few years ago, it took me some time to work out what a ?PED XING? was on your American style (worded) road signs.

I've had to explain this American sign to a few fellow Brits before: [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 04-22-2006).]