The problem is that apart from the "weird countries" aka "les pays anglosaxons" CEE 7/7 is the defacto standard.

Although, I would like to see a system that had a grounding pin rather than scraping contacts/pin receptical as it would make it impossible to mate a grounded plug with an old non-grounded socket outlet.

It does seem like a nice work around though.

The trouble with it is that the plug would still not fit the hundreds of millions of sockets that already accept CEE 7/7 without any problems.

I think perhaps the other sollution is to look at implementing IEC type connectors on ALL appliances. Perhaps, with the option of a lockable version. That way a cord could be simply snapped into place. UK, CEE 7/7 etc

The main thing though, is that I would design the appliance connector so that an under sized cord wouldn't fit an inappropriate appliance.. using keyed plugs and sockets.

Many appliances already have a connection box on the back where the cable is wired into place onto lugs. Certianly that way on my Miele washer and dryer and my Bosch Dishwasher.