Paul,
What was the reasoning behind the ring circuit?
Was it to reduce voltage drop (not that that's an issue with British 200-250V mains used at the time)? Is it unique to the UK or is it used wherever British 13A sockets are used?
I did install my own 'ring main' for my 12V wiring (solar/wind charging, lead acid batteries and all of that stuff). I did this simply for reducing voltage drop. When you think about it you're getting up to twice the conductor area depending on where along the main you're drawing current and it solves the problem of the voltage drop at the last socket on the line (because there isn't one elctrically speaking).
Perhaps this technique could be of benefit to our US friends?

Trumpy,
I recall finding a book in one of our libraries concerning NZ wiring practices (this was prior to the combined AS/NZ standard). What surprised me was that mention was made of UK 13A sockets and that they were approved for use in NZ. (I know you use the British telephone socket rather than the Australian one). Is that for real and to what extent have they been used? Are they used on a ring main or just with normal AS/NZ wiring practices?