I was working in a petrol station today repairing lights (none of the lights on the forecourt were working) and I noticed that none of the lights are "intrinsically safe". Just wondering would that be a problem. All of the lights are standard fluorescent fittings w/ electronic control gears.

We had to run two new 3x1.5 SWA inside the canopy to feed the lights because the two 3X1.5 NYM-J that were buried under the ground weren't working anymore, similar problem a couple of months ago. We didn't wire the place in case you were wondering.

Also, About 1.5m from one of the petrol pumps was a manhole that had the NYMs in it along with a few 5core and 7core SWAs and a hole lot more NYMs all joined in j-boxes with no covers, twisted and taped together. It looked real nice, I wouldn't like to have been near it if there was a spark. Thankfully there's no power in the manhole anymore because we ran the new cables out. It's a pity I didn't have the camera with me because I'm sure it would have been a prime candidate for the violations forum.

Ross