OK,
Here we go.
To start the new thread, what better item than the ubiquitous electric iron? I have a theory that once the basic design of a mass market product settles down and the crackpot ideas go to the wall, we are left with a form which can last unchanged for decades, and the electric iron is no exception.
Here's Hotpoint's iron from 80 [ ! ] years ago, clearly based on the traditional cast flat-iron heated by gas or coals. Note that the marketing boys have already started to invent 'trade' names, ("Calrod" = element), to brand their product.
A contemporary eminent electrical engineer comments so. -
".....excellent utensils, but clearly retaining weaknesses. The flexible lead undergoes great wear and tear, which sooner or later causes trouble. Even though the electric irons are generally provided with a stand, people continue to leave them flat and omit to switch off; ...leading to raised temperatures and charring.....many fires have been started this way. Recent designs provide a thermal cut-out, although it is too early to to obtain a definite opinion on [its] reliability. ...the great majority of electric irons in present use are plugged into lighting points."
What's the latest 'iron-age' technology?

Alan
Thanks for that Alan!.
BTW I'll post that pic you sent me of the iron, once I work out how to get that image out of the PDF file. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to add missing line}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-02-2005).]