Just took my sunglasses off after my recent trip [Linked Image] I won't tell you the country, though.
(A little challenge there...)

I took a lot of photos, some of them "electrical". I had bought a $100 digital camera which worked very well apart from the fact that it wouldn't work in anything but very good light. Most electrical photos were simply too bad to be useful. Oh, well, what did I expect? [Linked Image]

Here is a panel with electrical meter in a private home. Diazed fuses, with what appeared to be 16A fuses throughout. The wires are 1.5 mm2, mainly in NYM style cable or orange flexible conduit (16 or 20 mm dia). Color code in all installations appear to be the "old" European. (Blue, Black, Brown, Black) This was the only panel I found without an RCD. All others, even old ones, had an 500 mA RCD.

Pic

Here is a supply entry cabinet. (I honestly don't know what to call it) The supply cable comes in from the bottom. Found in the outside of building walls.

Pic

I opened a cabinet in a larger installation to see what was inside: Fuses and a meter

Pic

Below are three pictures of the distribution wiring.

Pic
Pic
Pic

Almost all OH wiring is cabled, but retains the insulators as connectors. Looks funny.

Here is an unusual tap, and two poor pictures of it:

Pic
Pic

The cable comes off the service wires to a home and enters the street lighting through a hole cut in the lamp. The lamp works, though.

Next is a warning sign, found on a transformer station.

Pic

This type of switch plate was found outside the bathrooms of private homes. Identical, but the order of the switches was random, though.

Pic

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 08-08-2005).]