All sparkies have had days when things have turned to custard, turned into a nightmare, sh*t hits the fan, goes HORRIBLY wrong, turns pear-shaped etc. And have horror stories that are painful to recall but oddly fascinating.

I'd like to invite anyone to relive their "Day-mare", and I'll start off by recounting one of mine:

Two weeks after starting a job as "Chief Maintenance Electrician" at a 150 room resort on an island called Rarotonga, there was a hurricane and subsequent sea surge which meant ankle-deep sea water through the whole complex at 4.00am.

I then discovered that my predecessor had used his Duspols ( voltage testers with sharp probes ) to poke holes through the insulation of submain cables in covered underground ducts to the rooms. I then discovered that he had been replacing the HRC fuse-links for these cables with motor rated fuse-links.

Two 18 hour shifts later ( epoxy joins in water-filled trenches ) I finally had the situation under control and the guests could return to their rooms. It cost the Resort Owner NZ$15,000 a day for the evacuations and he was breathing down my neck the whole time. He was also large and agressive.

Ain't it funny how the bad days stick out in your memory more than the good days ?