John Thaw, who played Regan, in 'The Sweeney', sadly passed away in 2002 aged only 60. Cockney 'argot' originated as a sort of 'criminals code' in the poor area East of the Smoke (London), to confuse the police (the Old Bill, the Fuzz (the blue-serge uniforms were fuzzy), and their informers, the grasses, (pop song, 'Whispering Grass'), or snouts (noses). Many words, and the peculier cockney 'gutteral stop' letter 't', 'th' replaced by 'f' and the dropped 'h' have passed into general use. In fact practically the whole of southern England now speak the dreadful 'Estuary English', (I expect it's arrived in Norfolk Paul), the exception being dear old Auntie BBC, but it's not the real thing. (If an American can imagine the whole of New England speaking like Bugs Bunny, you'll get the idea!). Other travesties have GOT to include Dick van Dyke in 'Mary Poppins', (Blimey*!, 'e WAS 'avin a bleedin' larf*, 'e was!) Only one American as far as I can recall got into the pukka* word list- Tod Sloane, (with his "monkey style" of riding) was a popular flat-racing jockey in the early 20th century in the UK, so good he was a constant winner. So "On 'is Tod" means "on his own", as Tod so often was as he crossed the finish line. Sadly I have to report that the lingo is all going for a ball of chalk* now as swearing replaces the more colourful adjectives.

Alan

* ball of chalk = walk.
'avin a larf = taking the mickey.
Blimey = God blind me, an oath.
pukka = proper, from Indian Army game of Polo.

Wood work but can't!